Thursday, September 29, 2011

Censorship and Novinite.com


Poor Novinite.com (Sofia News Agency) has seen fit to censor Sofia Notes. This began this week when I criticised the global media outlet for their coverage of Bulgarian racism. I have been posting to their web site forum for a long time now and there was never any suggestion of a problem. But there you go. That's the free press in xenophobic 21st century Bulgaria for you. I've included an email thread to the editor-in-chief of the global media outlet for clarity.

Oh by the way. I got the logo from their web site. _________________________________________________________________________________
2011/9/29 Sofia News Agency
From: Sofia Notes 
Email: xxxxxx
Subject: Novinite censorship 
Text: I note that you have chosen to censor my comments to the Novinite forum. In what has been one of the most distressing weeks in recent Bulgarian history Novinite has disgraced itself with its coverage of the so called Roma crisis. Your coverage has been biased, prejudicial and in some cases has bordered on racism. In a true democracy a free press encourages open debate. It seems Novinite sees itself as above criticism and will not accept any from foreigners. ___________________________________________________________________________
Ivan Dikov, Novinite.com (Sofia News Agency) 
Thank you for your email. 


Unfortunately, I am obliged to say that the only "disgraceful" thing in this case has been your campaign to promote your blog via our website, a globally respected media outlet with a 10-year history. The reason your posts have been moderated is that you constantly post spam links to your blog. You are otherwise free to express your opinion in our forum. Also, you need to stop posting copyright photos from our website on your blog as we have not granted you permission to do that, and I imagine the BGNES news agency hasn't, either. I am not going to comment on your accusations even though when one accuses others of prejudice, they should probably think about their own biases first. Your opinion is respected, and you are certainly entitled to it. 


Regards Ivan Dikov Editor-in-Chief Novinite.com (Sofia News Agency) The Sofia Morning News The Sofia Weekly 24 Khan Asparuh Street Office No. 1 1000 Sofia, Bulgaria
____________________________________________________________________________
Reply Sofia Notes to Ivan


Sorry Ivan but I think you are a little too sensitive. I wonder why? It's normal for bloggers to use other media to promote opinions and views. I have done so on the following sites (to name but a few): Daily Telegraph, Daily Mail, BBC, New York Times, Huffington Post, Wall Street Journal. I think these are all respected global media brands (in the truest sense of the word). They don't seem to have a problem with how I post my mails but Novinite does. In fact, you only began to have a problem when I started to criticise your news site. Hmmm I wonder why. And many of my comments (without tags) have been censored. 


We live in the 21 st century Ivan where free comment should be encouraged and especially so in this country. It's a shame you can't recognise that. My blog is not spam. It seeks to offer informed opinion and is open to criticism just like any other. Feel free!  Big Brother censorship belongs to the past don't you think? To be honest you need to get down from your self-righteous and self-absorbed horse. Feel free to do as you wish. That's your right.


I'll ignore the comment about the photos. It's too laughable to respond to. Save to say that I presume you have permission to take BGNES photos as well. I generally always mention the source of the photos I use. I would have though the the Sofia News Agency could withstand the infringements of a lowly blogger. C'est la vie. 


Finally, you won't respond to my comments about your coverage of recent events because there is no response. You coverage has bordered on racist. The language used in some of the articles is a disgrace to any responsible media outlet. It is at the very least pejorative and at worst inflammatory. In particular, Milena Hristova's article is sickening and it is a disgrace that it is still published. If anything was worthy of censorship that article is. 


Finally Ivan, I've always enjoyed your own articles. It's rare to find incisive commentary in this country. It's a pity you can't recognise the same. Here's to a free press and free blogging! SN

No comments:

Post a Comment